Still suffering from lackluster reception outside of the Sun/Solaris community, OpenSolaris 2008.11 was released today. Leaving aside the fixes in since 2008.05 there is one exceptional feature worth spending a moment on. Time Slider.
In my opinion ZFS is one of the most impressive computer technologies out there. Period. Amongst other things it has very advanced storage pooling and support for deep snapshotting. As with anything else, with a core technology you can only succeed when you expose it effectively to end users and this version of OpenSolaris shows that the developers are certainly heading in the right direction.
Time Slider is literally enabled with a click in the Administration menu. Once enabled Nautilus has a slider representative of points in time and it just works.
More details can be found here: http://opensolaris.org/os/
Take note that there’s a live cd as well!!!
- ZFS Time Slider and Songbird
- Suspend/Resume and CPU power management
- Distribution Constructor and Prototype Automated Installer
- WebStack with 64-bit MySQL, CherryPy, and DTrace for Ruby
- GNOME 2.24, OpenOffice 3.0, and Firefox 3