Ah Microsoft, you giveth and you taketh.
The Microsoft Business Data Catalog Definition Editor for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 aka MSBDCDEFMOSS2007 (all me…) is a nifty yet hobbled tool fresh(ish) from Microsoft. In brief its features include:
- Underlying XML is abstracted by the design surface and properties window
- Drag and drop web methods, tables, or views to create line of business (LOB) connections.
- Entities and methods are created automatically from database metadata and WSDLs.
- Additional method instances can be added to further enhance the database or web service connection.
- Method instances can be tested from within the tool, enabling incremental development of LOB connections
That said… Here’s the catch. (For now I hope…)
The tool is unusable with SQL Server 2005/2008 schemas… So, you cannot use it against AdventureWorks, BUT you can use it against AdventureWorksDW. If you dare to try, you will be rewarded with a “Could not process Table ‘….’. Also, make sure you have SELECT Rights on the Table/VIEW”.