So… the detail is out and it is not impressive for a variety of reasons. If any of you recall a screenshot of a literal plethora of different versions of Windows 7 floating around a while back, you may now smirk and / or groan. Yes, Microsoft have, in my opinion, once again shot themselves in the foot.
The following will be the actual new SKUs for the OS:
- Windows 7 Starter (limited to three apps concurrently)
- Windows 7 Home Basic (for emerging markets)
- Windows 7 Home Premium (adds Aero, Touch, Media Center)
- Windows 7 Professional (Remote Desktop host, Mobility Center, Presentation mode)
- Windows 7 Enterprise (volume license only, boot from virtual drive, BitLocker)
- Windows 7 Ultimate (limited availability, includes everything)
This is verging on idiotic, there is no sane need for so many versions of Windows 7. All that is needed is:
- Home Media
This is naught short of a cash grab and is not going breed any goodwill. Lead the way or make way still applies. Feel free to call me Microsoft… Or just get out there and read /.