This download extends Visual Studio to enable the creation, building, debugging, running and packaging of scalable Web applications and services on Windows Azure. A hot topic to say the least.
In case you are not sure what it is: “Windows Azure is the cloud operating system that serves as the development, run-time, and control environment for the Azure Services Platform.”
And you can get the whole marketing blurb here: http://www.microsoft.com/azure/default.mspx
If you are just getting started with the CTP go here Working with Multiple Web and Worker Roles and here Associating an ASP.NET Web Application (including MVC) as a Web Role.
Download it from here: Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio July 2009 CTP
Copy of text from the link page below
Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio extend Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1 to enable the creation, building, debugging, running and packaging of scalable web applications and services on Windows Azure.
Please note that this is a CTP release and should not be used on production systems. Please see the EULA for more details.
New for the July 2009 CTP:
- Support for developing and deploying services containing multiple web and worker roles. A service may contain zero or more web roles and zero or more worker roles with a minimum of one role of either type.
- New project creation dialog that supports creating Cloud Services with multiple web and worker roles.
- Ability to associate any ASP.NET Web Application project in a Cloud Service solution as a Web Role
- Support for building Cloud Services from TFS Build
- Enhanced robustness and stability
Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio includes:
- C# and VB Project Templates for creating a Cloud Service solution
- Tools to change the Service Role configuration
- Integrated local development via the Development Fabric and Development Storage services
- Debugging Cloud Service Roles running in the Development Fabric
- Building and packaging of Cloud Service Packages
- Browsing to the Azure Services Developer Portal
- SSL Certificate selection
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista
- Windows Vista SP1 (when installing on Windows Vista)
- IIS 7.0 (with ASP.NET, WCF HTTP Activation and optionally CGI)
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SP1, Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1 or Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1
- SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (or above)
- Hotfix: Native Debugging Improvements (not required for Visual Studio 2010)
- Hotfix: Improve Visual Studio Stability (not required for Windows 7 RC or later)
- Hotfix: Support for FastCGI on the Development Fabric (not required for Windows 7 RC or later, or Windows Server 2008 SP2 or later)